I have feigned sleep, preoccupation, or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon.
1. preoccupation(n.) a state in which you think about something so much that you do not think about other things
Example: She noticed his look of preoccupation.
(n.) something that you think about and want to do because it is important
Example: The safety of their children is a constant preoccrpation of most parents.
2. unmistakable(adj.) very easy to recognize
Example: The unmistakable smell of autumn filled the air.
3.revelation(n.) a surprising piece of information
Example: Recent revelations abort his private life have dented his popularity.
(n.) a message believed to have come from God
revel(v.) to celebrate or enjoy yourself in a lively and noisy way, especially by singing, dancing, and drinking alcohol
I am still a little afraid of missing something if I forget that, as my farther snobbishly suggested, and I snobbishly repeat, a sense of the fundametal decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth.
4. snobbish(adj.) behaving in a way that shows you think you are better than other people
5. decency [`disnsɪ](n.) behaviour that is moral, good, or reasonable
Example: No one with any sense of decency can ignore their request for help.
common decency= standards of decency that most people should have
Example: It would have been only common decency to phone and say you'd be late.
decent(adj.)good or good enough
6. parcel(n.) something wrapped in paper or in a large envelope to be sent by post
(n.) a section of a piece of land
(v.) to divide something into smaller parts that are easier to sell +off
Example: They're parcelling off most of the company's assets.
parcel out(phrasal vb) to share something among several people
parcel up(phrasal vb) to prepare something for sending by post by wrapping it in paper or putting it in a box or special envelope