Our lackluster performance indicated to him that we had forgotten the rudimentary aspects of basketball.
1. lackluster (adj.) not lively, exciting, or impressive
Example: The coach criticized his team's lackluster performance.
His caustic remarks fired us up, however, and we dashed out, determined to wrest control of the game from our rivals.
2. caustic (adj.) expressing severe criticism of someone, often in a funny or clever way
Eddie's technique was to jostle a victim toward a confederate who would then slip the man's wallet out of his back pocket while Eddie was stammering an apology to the confused dupe.
3. confederate (n.) someone who works with you to achieve something, often something secret or illegal
4. stammer (v.) to keep repeating a sound and have difficulty in saying certain words because of a speech problem, nervousness, excitement etc
Example: Nina, blushing with embarrassment, began to stammer.
stammer out to say something while stammering
Example: The boy managed to stammer out a description of his attacker.
stammer (n.) [ singular ] a speech problem that makes you repeat a sound several times when you try to say certain words
Example: an insecure young man with a slight stammer
The wealthy dupe consented to buy the often-sold Brooklyn Bridge.
5. consent (v.) to give approval for something +to
Example: The child's parents would not consent to the treatment.
(v.) to agree to do something
consent to do sth
Example: He consented to answer their question.
consent (n.) permission to do something
with/ without sb's consent
Example: He entered the building without the owner's consent.
Example: You cannot go on school trips without the written consent of your parents.
Example: The planning authority had previously given consent to the development.
by common/ mutual consent with the agreement of everyone involved
Example: The contract was ended by mutual consent.
consent form (n.) a document that someone signs to show that they will allow something to happen
consenting adult (n.) someone who is legally old enough and is willing to take part in an activity, especially a sexual activity